VSHN.timer #215: The Rise of OpenTofu and Crossplane
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about how OpenTofu and Crossplane are redefining the landscape of Infrastructure as Code.
1. After four months of work since its official announcement, the first stable version of OpenTofu was released a few days ago and is ready for production! In case you had not heard about it, OpenTofu is a community-driven, open-source, drop-in replacement fork of Terraform, and a Linux Foundation project.
2. On the other side spectrum, Crossplane is steadily imposing itself as the definitive Cloud Native solution for IaC. In VSHN we’re proud to be an active member of the Crossplane community, and our CTO and Founder Tobias Brunner even spoke at the last Control Plane Day. We’ve been using Crossplane in production for a while now, for example in our AppCat product.
3. Did you know that Crossplane recently celebrated 5 years? And did you know that in that time, the project got 85 releases, and more than 8300 stargazers, 1800 contributors, 86000 contributions, and 10300 Slack members? Here’s our best wishes to this project and its community!
4. Upbound recently announced a practical application of Crossplane’s capabilities through a new reference implementation for Cloud Native Operational Excellence (CNOE). This example demonstrates how Crossplane serves as a valuable starting point for organizations navigating the complexities of cloud-native development.
5. We recently talked about Kubernetes 1.29 in VSHN.timer, and in this blog post, the Crossplane team highlights a few key important updates for the Crossplane community, like the CRD Validation Expression Language, the validating admission policy, and more.
Have you migrated to OpenTofu or are you still using Terraform? Are you using Crossplane in production? Would you like to share some OpenTofu or Crossplane tips and tricks with our readers? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
PS3: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of „How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024“Read more
Zusammenarbeit und Innovation werden gefeiert: VSHN auf dem Red Hat Summit Connect Zürich 2024Read more
Unser Expertenteam steht für dich bereit. Im Notfall auch 24/7.Kontakt