Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about famous technologies celebrating their anniversary in 2021.
1. Linux is 30 years old in 2021! We’re still waiting for the year of Linux on the desktop (although, ironically enough, Microsoft is doing quite a bit of work in that area!), but we sure have it on our datacenters, on our smartphones, and even on Mars! To celebrate the milestone, download the official stickers and add them to your website, or use them as a fancy wallpaper for your smartphone.
2. A Linux TCP bug is 24 years old in 2021! Eric S. Raymond famously said that „given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow“… in that case, this one beats all shallowness records.
3. IntelliJ IDEA is 20 years old in 2021! This was the app that first showed the world that Java was a suitable technology for desktop apps, and which eventually powered many other successful IDEs. Check out the fantastic timeline with screenshots of those old versions of yesteryear, as we raise our glasses to a fantastic tool.
4. Amazon S3 is 15 years old in 2021! The first building block of the AWS building, paving the way for the biggest cloud provider in the planet. The S3 API has since become synonym with cloud storage and a de facto standard for the industry, adopted by MinIO, cloudscale.ch, Wasabi, DigitalOcean, and many others.
5. Delphi is 26 years old in 2021! Oh, I see… never mind, in that case read this article for a fair bit of nostalgia.
Have you ever written an application with Delphi? Did you use S3 when it was first released? Would you like to share your memories with the community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.