VSHN.timer #87: AWS S3 and Cost Management
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about the latest news around Amazon Web Services and S3, its popular cloud storage.
1. Last week we mentioned the 15th anniversary of S3, the first AWS service to be released. But do you know how it all started? Dan Rose wrote a fantastic thread on Twitter telling the story of its beginnings, in the midst of the Web 2.0 craze, right after the dot-com boom of 2000.
2. AWS keeps growing and adding services. Not only it can now run EC2 Mac instances, but S3 now delivers strong read-after-write consistency, automatically for all applications. Something that was awaited by developers for, quite literally, a decade and a half.
3. It is safe to say that the S3 API has become the de facto standard for cloud storage. Linode, who also provides S3-compatible storage, has recently published a free ebook titled „S3-Compatible Object Storage Use Cases“ which will certainly be useful to all of us.
4. Managing costs is still one of the most scary and complicated things to do in AWS. Thankfully CloudZero has compiled a useful list of 17 tools to help businesses avoid runaway costs.
5. Speaking about money, do you know how much do AWS certifications cost? Sitting the exam is one thing, but what about training, books, videos, and other resources to get you prepared? Lou Bichard has put together a useful guide with all the details to get you certified as soon as possible.
Have you properly secured your S3 buckets? How do you keep track of your AWS usage costs? Would you like to share any tips and tricks with the community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
PS2: check out our previous VSHN.timer edition about AWS: #61.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of „How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024“Read more
Zusammenarbeit und Innovation werden gefeiert: VSHN auf dem Red Hat Summit Connect Zürich 2024Read more
Unser Expertenteam steht für dich bereit. Im Notfall auch 24/7.Kontakt