VSHN.timer #96: The InTUItive Tools CLInic
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about those fancy terminal applications that make the lives of DevOps engineers easier every day.
1. DevOps engineers are avid terminal users. And GitOps engineers are avid
git push users. At the intersection of both groups we discover GitUI, a re-imagined version of the venerable tig, this time written in Rust.
2. Command-line and in particular Text-based user interfaces are making a huge comeback nowadays. For example, if you have many GPG keys to manage, here’s gpg-tui to help. Also written in Rust, which seems to be the new language of choice for this kind of tools.
3. But DevOps engineers must manage more than just Git repos and GPG keys; they have Kubernetes clusters to take care of, and since everything is being rewritten in Rust, here’s KDash; a direct competitor to the ubiquitous K9S (written in Go) which is already part of our toolkit. Which one will prevail?
4. Configuration files in JSON are not exactly easy to
grep on the terminal; no worries, here’s the Golang-based gron project to help. In our humble opinion, a perfect complement to the de facto standard JSON CLI tool, jq.
5. Have you ever built a useful small CLI tool in Python, and wished you could share it with a non-technical co-worker? Well, in that case, add the
@Gooey decorator over your functions and let Gooey take care of the rest!
Do you have other CLI or TUI favorite tools? Have you built your own? Would you like to share your code and ideas with the DevOps community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of „How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024“Read more
Zusammenarbeit und Innovation werden gefeiert: VSHN auf dem Red Hat Summit Connect Zürich 2024Read more
Unser Expertenteam steht für dich bereit. Im Notfall auch 24/7.Kontakt