VSHN.timer #131: Cloud Native Job Titles
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about the ever changing job market, bringing new buzzwords on job postings and résumés.
1. Who’s in charge of Kubernetes in organizations? We used to call them “DevOps Engineers”, but apparently the term “Kubernetes Engineer” is slowly becoming the new standard. As long as job offers for this title don’t ask for 10 years of Kubernetes experience, all should be fine.
2. Ever heard about somebody refusing a job offer because the company uses Microsoft Teams? Well, watch out, you might be missing some talent because of your tool choices. Teamwork tools have a direct impact in your productivity, creativity… and even your employee turnover.
3. How do teams organize to jump into the cloud? A lot of companies break their teeth against hyperscalers; they do not realize that DevOps requires having a new production framework, and not just CI/CD pipelines and Kubernetes.
4. What makes DevOps teams really productive? According to the 2021 DevOps Setups: Benchmarking Study it all depends of essentially one thing: whether those teams are able to adhere to the “you build it, you run it” mantra, independently, and with the greatest agility.
5. What questions do you ask a prospective employer during an interview? We have answered a few in our Handbook for future VSHNeers, but for those applying to jobs in other organizations, check this list of questions to ask before the interview is over.
Is your job title “DevOps Engineer” or “Kubernetes Engineer”? Have you ever refused a job because of the tooling chosen by a prospective employer? Do you have any tips and tricks for conducting (or attending) job interviews? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us