VSHN.timer #151: Something about Containers
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about containers, the essential building block of modern Cloud Native applications.
1. Ephemeral containers is an upcoming stable feature of Kubernetes 1.25 letting you run a container next to a running Pod. This comes in handy when troubleshooting distroless images, where
kubectl exec won’t work. MetalBear explains everything you need to know about them.
New container escape dropped pic.twitter.com/jlegz0WKx1— Jason (@ImJasonH) August 26, 2022
2. Matt Rickard explains some non-trivial uses of Docker, beyond the usual
docker build and
docker run commands: as a compiler, as a task runner, as an alternative to
make, as a cross-platform compatibility layer, and more.
3. Bitnami has been offering great base container images for a long time. Now they’ve reorganized them using a monorepo approach, so that users can navigate through all Bitnami containers in a single repository.
4. Great news for all of us who build container images with GitLab: Podman 4.2.0 now supports the GitLab Runner, which means that we can use it to create container images directly in our CI/CD pipelines. Oh, and there’s Podman Desktop now, too, have you tried it?
5. Don’t miss ContainerDays 2022 next week in Hamburg! The agenda promises a great learning experience on various container-related subjects, like Kubernetes, Cloud Native, DevOps, GitOps, Edge Computing, and much more, in the Kampnagel international culture factory.
Are you attending ContainerDays next week? Are you more of a Docker or a Podman kind of DevOps engineer? Would you like to share some container tips and tricks with the community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us