VSHN.timer #159: Always Sunny In The Rich Cloud’s World
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about businesses working all night, working all day, to pay the Cloud bills they have to pay, ain’t it sad? And still, there never seems to be a single penny left for them. That’s too bad.
1. David Heinemeier Hansson, of Basecamp, Hey, and Ruby on Rails fame, argues that renting computers on the Cloud is a bad deal for medium-sized companies with stable growth; in their case, it means over half a million dollars per year for services from Amazon just to run Hey!
2. The world economy is heading into recession, and according to a new study, 81% of executives and directors have ordered to reduce or take on no additional cloud spending. Is this the end of an era?
3. Speaking about slowing cloud spending, Docker is increasing prices between 14% and 28% this week and is also restricting the size of Team accounts to 100 users, pushing affected organizations to upgrade. You might want to review your contract quickly.
4. Wanclouds commissioned a survey of more than 500 U.S. IT decision-makers in Q3 of 2022 and compiled the results into the 2022 Cloud Cost and Optimization Outlook. In a nutshell: Cloud spending is slowing down, and Kubernetes appears as a major driver of Cloud costs.
5. The VSHN.timer tool of the week is the AWS Pricing Google Sheets add-on, adding the latest AWS pricing data in your spreadsheets, making it easy to perform cloud cost analysis directly without error-prone copy-and-paste from pricing websites. It even tracks the latest discounts from AWS!
How do you manage cloud costs in your organization? Do you think you must leave, you have to go, to Las Vegas or Monaco? Would you like to suggest some cost-saving tips to our readers? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us