VSHN.timer #165: Is DevOps Still Relevant?
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week, in the last VSHN.timer of 2022, we’re going to talk about the serious questions that teams and organizations ask themselves about DevOps nowadays.
1. Is Platform Engineering putting an end to DevOps and SRE? According to the CNCF, Platform Engineering is now gaining momentum, and it is set to radically transform the IT landscape. Do you have a clear roadmap?
2. What does DevOps look like at the end of 2022? At almost 15 years old, DevOps has been around long enough to settle in worldwide. GitLab’s Valerie Silverthorne takes a closer look at what “modern” DevOps practices look like today. What do you think?
3. Is DevOps bullshit? The answer is yes, according to Cory O’Daniel. Outside of FAANG and the most well-funded companies, it simply does not work as intended, and most engineers don’t want to do operations work. Does it work for you?
4. Are we in the middle of the Great DevOps Burnout? This report from Haystack says yes. 83% of the 258 software engineers surveyed reported burnout from high workloads, inefficient processes, and unclear targets. Luca Galante from The New Stack analyzes the data. Do you agree?
5. Is DevOpsDays still relevant? Daniel Paulus asked this question to his fellow organizers at their retrospective after DevOpsDays Amsterdam 2022. Some said DevOpsDays has gone stale; some said it is as important as ever. What’s your take?
Are you more DevOps, SRE, or Platform Engineering? Have you adopted platform engineering and SRE practices? Would you like to provide some answers to our questions? Get in touch with us, and see you next year (!) for another edition of VSHN.timer. Thanks for your fidelity! Here’s to a wonderful Holiday season and a Happy New Year.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
PS3: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us