VSHN.timer #82: Kubernetes Autopilot And Terraform
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about the new Google Kubernetes Engine Autopilot and how to integrate Kubernetes and Terraform.
1. This was without any doubt the most important Kubernetes news from last week: the release of Google Kubernetes Engine Autopilot mode. A new setting for GKE allowing teams to outsource the operations of their clusters directly to Google, applying the best practices in scalability, security, and performance. Even better, GitLab supports Autopilot right now!
2. HashiCorp announced last week the availability of the HashiCorp Terraform Cloud Operator for Kubernetes, allowing teams to integrate both systems through GitOps workflows, in either public, private, or hybrid cloud infrastructures. This operator also supports Terraform Enterprise, and as expected, can be integrated on any Kubernetes cluster via Helm.
3. Speaking about controllers, do you know how they work internally? Do they poll pods continuously for updates, or are they subscribed to receive events from worker nodes? Tim Hockin, principal engineer in the Kubernetes project, explains it all in this presentation.
4. And for those interested in the lower-level details of how controllers work, here is more information about how they work with controller-runtime and client-go.
5. The tool of the week is Etok, which as the name implies, allows you to Execute Terraform On Kubernetes. Must have!
Have you used Terraform and Kubernetes together? Have you written your own Kubernetes controllers? Would you like to share some tips and tricks with the community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
PS2: would you like to watch VSHN.timer on YouTube? Subscribe to our channel vshn.tv and give a “thumbs up” to our videos.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us