VSHN.timer #99: kubectl learn all
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about useful online resources to learn all you need to know about Kubernetes.
1. Years have passed since Kelsey Hightower published his epic “Kubernetes the Hard Way” tutorial, and many alternatives have appeared ever since. One of the latest is Kubernetes by Example, with separate pages explaining each Kubernetes concept (pods, services, etc) as well as full learning paths to prepare you for certification.
2. LearnK8s.io remains one of the best resources for Kubernetes-related content out there. One of its latest gems is this explanation about how to select the best autoscaling strategy: horizontal? Vertical? Cluster? And what if they fail?
3. How do you deploy your apps? With manifests? Helm charts? Kustomize? Ketch? Kapp? Flux? Argo CD? Keptn? If you are as confused as us, you might want to check the Podtato Head project, and see by yourself all and each one of these options in action.
4. Do you actually need Kubernetes? The answer will not surprise you. (And as one VSHNeer remarked internally, the question is rather, do people actually spend money domains for this kind of websites?)
5. Remember The Illustrated Children’s Guide to Kubernetes? In the same spirit, here’s “Gently Down the Stream”, an illustrated gentle introduction to Kafka. We need more of these; they bring a sense of humanity to all of this bit pushing thing we do day after day.
My 2-year-old daughter's favorite stuffed animal, "Meow-Meow," is a critical service in my house, so I run a highly available three-node Meow-Meow cluster.— Andrew Brookins (@abrookins) June 17, 2021
Here's how it works:
1. Three observer processes monitor the current Meow-Meow leader (wife, oldest daughter, and me) pic.twitter.com/lAFr57V2du
How do you keep up with the latest news around Kubernetes? Do you usually sprinkle Kubernetes-related words in your daily life? Would you like to share some tips and tricks with the community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for… the 100th edition of VSHN.timer!
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us