VSHN.timer #196: Git, Gitea, GitLab, and GitHub
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about how our favorite GitOps platforms have been evolving in the past few months.
1. Gitea is slowly imposing itself as the „third option“ after GitHub and GitLab, and we’ve mentioned in another issue of VSHN.timer how even Exoscale is now offering Gitea in their marketplace. The Gitea team has recently announced Gitea 1.20, with the largest number of changes ever shipped!
2. GitLab has recently announced version 16.2 with more than 100 new improvements, including a new rich text editor, a command palette, support for keyless signing with Cosign, new customization layers for the Value Streams Dashboard and more.
3. GitHub recently announced the Stale Repos Action, a tool that helps your organization identify and report on repositories with no activity over a configurable period of time, marking inactive repositories within your organization, helping you decide to archive, revive, or reorganize them.
4. Andrew Rowson was today years old when he got bitten by some minor assumptions on how git-lfs works, a neat little add-on to git that allows you to store things that aren’t necessarily text based in a git repo.
5. The GitLab Operator for Red Hat OpenShift oversees the lifecycle of GitLab instances within Kubernetes or OpenShift container platforms. It simplifies installing and configuring GitLab instances, ensuring a seamless transition between different versions.
Have you migrated your projects to Gitea? Have you installed the GitLab Operator for Red Hat OpenShift? Would you like to share some Git tips and tricks with our community? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
PS3: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of „How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024“Read more
Zusammenarbeit und Innovation werden gefeiert: VSHN auf dem Red Hat Summit Connect Zürich 2024Read more
Unser Expertenteam steht für dich bereit. Im Notfall auch 24/7.Kontakt