Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about how to sharpen our Git skills.
1. DevOps engineers store everything in Git, to the point that we end up calling it our “single source of truth”. But do you know how to recover deleted commits? Do you know how to
rebase? Can you use submodules properly? (Yeah, me neither.) If any of these things aren’t your strongest Git skill, Tobias Günther is here to help.
2. Want to know more about Git? For example, how to make your
git log easier to read? How to merge properly? Or how to extend it with extra commands? Check what Martin Heinz has to say about that and more.
3. Git is a great foundation for teamwork; but what about freelance and solo developers? Git shines for all projects, and with a bit of practice it can make you a better engineer, even if you’re the only one contributing to your repo. Mikkel Paulson has plenty of tricks to share about that.
4. How do you apply literate programming to Git commits? I know, the question sounds really weird; if you open your mind, Jonas Lundberg will be happy to tell you all about it.
5. We recently discovered the Git and Git-Flow cheat sheet by Bilal Arslan, and we decided it was worth learning it by heart. It’s even translated to many languages, like Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, and Chinese. Muchas gracias, Bilal!
6. Bonus item! Would you like to know more about GitOps? bespinian and VSHN are organizing the GitOps Webinar Trilogy™®© starting on Thursday, March 25th. Sign up and join us for more Git!
Do you use Git for your personal projects? Do you
git bisect sometimes? Would you like to share Git tips and tricks with our readers? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
PS2: check out our previous VSHN.timer editions about Git: #10, #48, and #68.