VSHN.timer #53: The State of OpenShift
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about one of our specialties: Red Hat OpenShift!
1. Ten days ago Red Hat released OpenShift 4.5. The new features of this release include: support for VMware ; new compact 3-node clusters; and the new Vertical Pod Autoscaler. And there’s much more!
2. OpenShift itself is based in a community distribution called OKD, of which version 4.5 has been recently made available to the public. This open source project can be freely inspected, installed and used by anyone looking for a solid Kubernetes distribution.
3. Speaking about OKD4, Craig Robinson has recently published a step-by-step tutorial on how to install OKD as a single node cluster.
4. Red Hat and Amazon are longtime partners. A few months ago, AWS announced the future availability of a managed OpenShift service, akin to a similar offerings already available in Azure. It is not yet available, however, so in the meantime you should get started with a quick introduction to installing OpenShift on AWS.
5. Still undecided about which Kubernetes platform to use? Platform9 published a white paper with a review and comparison of VMware Tanzu, Google Anthos, OpenShift, Rancher, and Platform9 Managed Kubernetes, with a few valid points to consider.
Have you upgraded to OpenShift 4.5 already, or do you plan to? How do you like the new features? Do you have any tips you would like to share with the community? Get in touch with us through the form at the bottom of this page, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS: For those of you Red Hat fans, here are the previous OpenShift-related VSHN.timer entries: VSHN.timer #9 and VSHN.timer #28. Check them out!
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us