VSHN.timer #184: For Linux Distro Hoppers
Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
This week we’re going to talk about what’s going on around Linux, our favorite kernel, and the various distributions based on it.
1. Fedora Linux 38 was released in April with many new features: GNOME 44, new Spins with Budgie and Sway, support for ARM & Power architectures, Linux kernel version 6.2, and even a new website! A very solid distribution gets a powerful update.
2. Canonical announced in April the release of Ubuntu 23.04, codenamed “Lunar Lobster,” with a new installer, support for Azure Active Directory, updated toolchains for various programming languages, and GNOME 44.
3. There’s a new Linux distribution that does something no other operating system can do. Universal Blue is based on Fedora (albeit still in alpha) and includes a rather revolutionary rebasing mechanism you might want to try.
4. One reason why there are so many Linux distributions is that there’s endless disagreement on what makes the best desktop. Now, GNOME and KDE are exploring the idea of uniting, using Flatpak to create a Linux desktop app store.
5. Own a Microsoft Surface device? Installing Linux on them is now much easier thanks to the Linux Surface project on GitHub, a project providing package repositories for patched kernels, and other utilities.
Are you more of a Snap or Flatpak kind of person? What is your favorite distro? Would you like to share some Linux tips and tricks with our readers? Get in touch with us, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.
PS2: do you prefer reading VSHN.timer in your favorite RSS reader? Subscribe to this feed.
PS3: would you like to receive VSHN.timer every Monday in your inbox? Sign up for our weekly VSHN.timer newsletter.
- APPUiO Cloud
AppCat Now Standard on All APPUiO Managed OpenShift Clusters on ExoscaleRead more
Watch the Recording of “How to Keep Container Operations Steady and Cost-Effective in 2024”Read more
Celebrating Collaboration and Innovation: VSHN at Red Hat Summit Connect Zurich 2024Read more
Our team of experts is available for you. In case of emergency also 24/7.Contact us